Please note that this information is not provided as advice or guidance.
We recommend that you seek professional advice before undertaking any building work.

Q: What is Permitted Development?
A: Permitted development is legislation that allows you to make certain enlargements to your house without the need for planning permission.

Q: Is my extension a Permitted Development?
A: The eligibility of these extensions depend on the length, width and height of enlargement and its volume measured from the existing building (as first built, or as it stood before 1 July 1948, in the case of older buildings.) and the proximity to boundary lines. There are also general restrictions on the appearance under Permitted Development rights. These do not apply in blocks of flats.

Q: How do I confirm that it is a Permitted Development?
A: To confirm your extension can be built under Permitted Development right, a Certificate of Lawfulness must be achieved; this is an application to the Local Authority. They don’t require a lot of work other than scale drawings, which we can help you with.

Q: Do I need Planning Permission?
A: If your extension exceeds the general restrictions of Permitted Development then a Planning Application is required. Scale drawings are required as well as a little experience at completing the forms – which ADC can help you with.

Q: Is it hard to get Planning Permission?
A: No. Providing the application is completed correctly and within council guidelines, it’s a fairly straightforward process. There are several documents required, including: plans, elevations and sections of the existing and proposed building, a location and block plan and an online Planning Application Form. Other supplementary reports can be requested such as Design and Access Statements, Contextual Elevations and details of joinery and reinstatement of original features.

Q: What are the Building Regulations?
A: The Building Regulations are a set of statutory rules set by the Deputy Prime Minister in approved documents; these are titled A-R and are guidelines on how to construct a building legally. They have to be met in order for building work to begin.

Q: Does my building work need Building Regulations?
A: To determine whether the work you are doing requires Building Regulation Consent you must first determine whether the work you are carrying out is defined as ‘building work’ under the Building Regulations. If it does then it must comply, and you will need to seek approval from your Local Authority.

Q: Does my building work need Building Regulation Consent…?
To build an extension? Yes
To convert a loft into a room? Yes
To convert a garage into a room? Yes
To install cavity installation? Yes
To install or replace double glazing?
· Yes if new
· No if replacing broken glass or rotten frame
To make internal alterations? Yes
Repairs to my house?
· Minor; No, if you replace like for like
· Major;
1. Demolish and rebuild wall – Yes
2. Roof tiles, if you replace like for like- No. If they are different – Yes
To construct a conservatory? If ground level and less than 30m² – No. If more- Yes
To construct a detached garage? No (subject to conditions)
To construct car port under 30m²? No
To construct a covered yard under 30m²? no,
To construct a porch?
· ground level and less than 3m² – No
· more – Yes
To construct a detached, non-habitable building in the garden? No, (subject to certain conditions)
Boundary wall? no, unless it forms part of a building
Sanitary or heating fittings?
· Wc/ bath, no unless plumbing is involved
· Heating appliance – Yes
· Hot water storage – Yes
· Boiler – Yes
Electrical work? Yes
Convert house to flats? Yes
To install a Velux roof light? Yes
To underpin my house? Yes

Q: How do I get Building Regulations consent?
A: Small works can be carried out under a Building Notice. Larger works require a Full Plans Application which need a thorough analysis of the construction of the proposed development. This is displayed through 1:50 scale drawings on A1 sized paper, with annotations that specify solutions for each Building Regulation, some of these solutions are simple, while others are complicated and require further detailed drawings. ADC specialise in this type of drawing work.